The season is officially underway and our Cardinals are looking to make some noise in the ever-tough Greater Miami Conference. Last year the Cards finished 19-9 overall and 2nd in the GMC with a 14-4 record. Below is a high-level preview of this season’s team from the Prep Baseball Report website.
2016 SPRING TEAM PREVIEW: COLERAIN CARDINALS
Team Name: Colerain Cardinals
Head Coach: Justin Yeary
2015 Record: 19-9
Conference Record: GMC, 14-4
Returning Starters/Pitchers: 5/6
2016 Team Strengths:
2016 Team Weaknesses:
- Defensive depth in the OF
- Could possible struggle scoring runs.
Coach Outlook: “The team should be strong on the mound and in the field. At the plate, we lost some very important bats and need guys to pick up from were those guys left off. If we can produce offensively, we have a very good chance to compete with anyone on any given day.”
PBR Outlook: Baseball in the Cincinnati area is rich with talent, and the Colerain Cardinals have talent all across the field. After a 19-9 season a year ago, the Cardinals return the majority of their lineup and if they can produce on the offensive end, Colerain will be a team to watch in 2016.
Top Returning Players:
- Jacob Allen (Sr, pictured above), LHP, 3-year starter, Wabash Valley recruit.
- Cory Heffron (Sr), C, 3-year starter, Wright State recruit.
- Jake Schrand (Jr), RHP, 2-year starter.
- Jared Flueck (Jr), INF/RHP, 2-year starter.
- Ryan Murray (Jr), SS, 2-year starter.
- Jason Fischer, RHP, 6-1/200, 2-year varsity letter
- Kyle Bolden, OF, 6-0/215, 3-year varsity letter
- Jacob Wells, INF/OF, 5-10/175
The boys have started off this season 1-2 with their two losses coming against a top 5 team in the state and the Preseason Cincinnati.com Coach’s Poll #2 team, the Mason Comets.
Full schedule and results can be found HERE.