Colerain High School Athletics Department announces
2018 Varsity Football Schedule
Colerain High School Athletic Director Craig Ulland released to WeAreColerain.com the 2018 Varsity Football schedule. Below is the schedule and highlights for each week of the season.
Week – Date – Opponent (2017 Record) **SPECIAL EVENT**
ALL GAMES 7:00 PM
Week 1 – Friday 8/24 – vs. LaSalle Lancers (10-3, Regional Runner-up) **Hall of Fame & Alumni Night / Joe Bertram Foundation Game**
* The Cardinals open defense of their Regional Championship by taking on a familiar foe and last year’s Division II, Region 8 runner-up, the LaSalle Lancers. The Cards have struggled against LaSalle recently going 1-3 since the rivalry was renewed in 2014 with Colerain’s only win coming in 2016 by the score of 6-0. The home team has won each of the last 3 contests which bodes well the Cardinals as the Lancers travel to The Cage for this year’s season opener.
Week 2 – Friday 8/31 – @ St. Xavier Bombers (11-2, Regional Runner-up)
* What can we say that hasn’t already been said about this rivalry? In this author’s humble opinion, it is THE premier Public/Private school rivalry in the state and one of the best in the nation. Colerain is 6-4 over the past 10 meetings against the Bombers, with 4 of the past 6 games going to OT. As is always the case, clear your calendar now to be in attendance for this one. It is sure to be an instant classic!
Week 3 – Friday 9/7 – vs. Princeton Vikings (4-6, 6th in GMC) **Youth FB / Military Appreciation**
* Colerain begins the quest for their 19th straight GMC Championship, 20th overall, against THE program that put the GMC on the map with 27 GMC Championships…the Princeton Vikings. Head Coach Mike Daniels last trip to Colerain was as the Quarterback for the Vikings where he put up video game like numbers in the early 2000’s. This time, he’ll look to lead his talented Vikings squad, led on defense by 4-star DE Darrion Henry (10 offers), into The Cage and dash Colerain’s hopes of another GMC championship. Princeton last beat Colerain in 1997 by the score of 27-14.
Week 4 – Friday 9/14 – vs. Middletown Middies (1-9, 9th in GMC) **Elementary Night**
* Rare back-to-back home games early in the season for the Cards as the Middies from Middletown come calling in week 4. The Cardinals have won 7 in a row against Middletown dating back to 2008.
Week 5 – Friday 9/21 – @ Sycamore Aviators (9-3, T-2nd in GMC)
* Colerain hits the road to Sycamore Middle School to battle the always tough Aves from Sycamore High School. Sycamore has won 3 post-season games over the past two years and are really finding their stride. The Cards, however, have had their number beating them 16 consecutive times including 42-0 at The Cage last season.
Week 6 – Friday 9/28 – vs. Hamilton Big Blue (3-7, 7th in GMC) **HOMECOMING**
* The Cards return home to start the second half of the season and to celebrate homecoming as Big Blue from Hamilton make the trek south to Cardinal Country. The Cards are 21-7 all-time vs. Hamilton and are currently riding a 17 game winning streak, most recently winning at Hamilton last year by the score of 41-7
Week 7 – Friday 10/5 – @ Mason Comets (9-3, T-2nd in GMC)
* With only one home game left on the schedule, the Cards hit the road for two in a row, starting with the Comets at Dwire Field in Mason. Mason is a “home away from home” for Colerain as they have played several regular-season and post-season games there over the past few years, including last year’s regional final victory over St. Xavier. The series against Mason is young, only 11 meetings total, but Colerain has completely dominated this series, winning by an average score of 43-13 while going a perfect 11-0.
Week 8 – Friday 10/12 – @ Lakota East Thunderhawks (4-6, T-5th in GMC)
* The Student visits the Teacher as Coach Bolden takes his Cardinals to visit his mentor and teacher, Coach Rick Haynes and his Lakota East Thunderhawks. Outside of a 3 point loss back in 1999, Colerain has owned this match-up as well. The Cards are 15-1 all-time vs. Lakota East and the student is undefeated against the teacher.
Week 9 – Friday 10/19 – vs. Fairfield Indians (6-5, T-2nd in GMC) **SENIOR NIGHT**
* The final home game of the year always marks one very special evening…SENIOR NIGHT! The Cards are projected to have upwards of two dozen(!!) Seniors to celebrate this fall. You’ll want to clear your schedule for this one as the Cardinals look to improve on their impressive 19-3 overall record against the Indians. Last year’s game at Fairfield was hyped as a game where Colerain would be challenged and could find themselves on the wrong side of scoreboard if things broke the Indians way. That was not the case as Ja’von Hicks intercepted a Fairfield pass 3 yards deep in the endzone and returned it 100+ yards for the score as time expired at the end of the first half. The Indians were shell-shocked and the Cards would roll to the win, 38-12.
Week 10 – Friday 10/26 – @ Lakota West Firebirds (2-8, 8th in GMC)
* As is tradition, the Cards take on the Highlanders from….wait, what!? No OAK HILLS in week 10?! That’s right, the Cards finish up their schedule on the road at Lakota West to battle Coach Larry Cox and his Firebirds. Much like their district brethern, the Cardinals have owned West to the tune of a 16-1 record, all-time, and haven’t lost since 1999. Colerain won at home last year vs. the Firebirds by the score of 52-24.
Interesting Notes for 2018:
- Colerain is currently riding a 67-game GMC winning streak dating back to 2008.
- Colerain will attempt to win their 20th GMC championship. If they win the title again, the Cards will tie Princeton’s GMC record for 19 consecutive GMC titles, which the Vikings won from 1967 through 1985.
- It is the first time since 1997 that Colerain and Oak Hills will NOT meet on the gridiron.
- Three of Colerain’s final four games are on the road.
- Colerain has won 2 of the last 3 Regional Championships. They have never won two in a row.
Season tickets will be available for purchase later this year. Be sure to secure your reserved seats and parking spot for what will be a VERY special season of Colerain Cardinal football this coming fall!